Surviving on your own can be exhausting. You might still be in school, need a good job and be wondering why everything costs so much. But despite the insane cost of living, one of the best places to save cash is at home. With a few simple tricks, you can save a lot of money.
Save on electricity
• While utilities are sometimes covered in an apartment’s rent, saving on electricity is one of the easiest ways to save cash. To cut back your electricity consumption on anything you don’t use constantly. There are also energy-efficient light bulbs that burn less electricity and last longer.
Save on water
• To lower your water bill, invest in a tap aerator for your kitchen and avoid pre-rinsing your dishes before putting them into the dishwasher. Another way to save money on water is to install low-flow shower heads in your bathroom.
Decorate on budget
• Garage sales are a great way to find cheap and inexpensive items to decorate your home with. There are also pieces of furniture you can create yourself. The greatest thing about DIY furniture is that you can customize it to fit in your own space. By flexing your own creative muscles, you are bound to have more pride in your décor piece while also saving money.
Ask friends and family
• There are many costs associated with moving into a new place. To make up some of those costs, ask friends or family if they have any furniture or household items they would be willing to donate or sell to you for a good price. If you’re really looking to save, you can ask friends to help find you a roommate if you are renting.
Eat at home
• When it comes to eating, it can be too easy to run to a local restaurant or take-out place for food. But a few bucks here and there for each meal can quickly drain your bank account. To save a lot of money each month, buy your own food to make at home. You can easily make a meal for a couple of Rands and leftovers can last you a whole week.